Apple WWDC 2019 kicks off today
LIVE UPDATE: Apple’s WWDC Developers Conference is now underway in San Jose California and expect some huge news to revealed over the next few hours.
Express.co.uk has made the trip across the pond and is bringing live updates from the major keynote with upgrades to iOS 13, macOS and watchOS all expected.
Things have just got underway with Apple’s CEO, Tim Cook, taking to the stage in front of thousands of developers so keep checking back for all the latest news.
APPLE iOS 13 HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY REVEALED
• The rumours are true with a Dark Mode arriving on iOS 13.
• All of Apple’s apps such as Photos, Music and News get this updated look.
• Apple says performance is key to iOS 13 everything becoming much quicker once the update is installed.
iOS 13 Dark Mode
Apple iOS 13 has been revealed
• In fact, apps should launch at speeds twice as fast than before.
• iOS 13 includes an update that allows users to type by swiping via a QuickPath keyboard
• Time synced lyrics come to iOS 13 which offer Karaoke-style features when listening to music.
• Photos gets an update – Using on-device machine learning, Photos curates the entire library to highlight the best images, automatically hiding clutter and similar photos to showcase significant events from the past day, month or year.
• New Reminders app – This popular feature is being redesigned from the ground up with huge improvements that include new Today, Scheduled and Flagged settings
• Messages can automatically share a user’s name and photo, or customised Memoji or Animoji, to easily identify who is in the Messages thread.
• New Apple Maps will launch in the US later this year with a much richer user experience – more countries should get this update later in 2020. Powered by the new basemap and high-resolution 3D photography, a new Look Around feature delivers beautiful street-level imagery of a city with smooth and seamless transitions.
“iOS 13 brings new capabilities to the apps you use every day, with rich updates to Photos and Maps, and privacy-protecting features like Sign In with Apple, all while delivering faster performance,” said Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering.
“We’re excited for customers to experience what’s coming to iPhone this fall and can’t wait for them to see how great everything looks in Dark Mode.”
Apple iOS 13
IPAD IS CHANGING
• iPad update as this tablet gets a new operating system called iPadOS.
• iPadOS changes huge parts of the tablet’s software with new features including a customisable home page, better file management and even the ability to plug in external disks.
• Desktop-Class Browsing with Safari – Apple says Safari is more powerful than ever on iPad. iPadOS automatically presents the desktop version of the website, scaled appropriately for the iPad display, and optimises it for touch, so web apps like Google Docs, Squarespace and WordPress work great in Safari on iPad.
• More Ways to Use Apple Pencil – Customers can now mark up and send entire webpages, documents or emails on iPad by swiping Apple Pencil from the corner of the screen. A redesigned tool palette gives quick access to tools, colour palettes, shapes, object eraser, a new pixel eraser for removing any part of a stroke and a ruler for drawing perfectly straight lines.
• Do More with Split View and Slide Over -iPad users can now work with multiple files and documents from the same app simultaneously with updates to Split View, or can quickly view and switch between multiple apps in Slide Over. For example, customers can compose an email while viewing another email side by side or access multiple apps like Messages or Calendar with just a swipe. App Exposé provides a quick view of just the open windows for any one app with a simple tap.
Apple iPad update
APPLE WATCH UPDATE WITH WATCHOS6
• Apple Watch is getting some new faces which will launch later in the year.
• A new alert can now chime on the hour or give you a silent Haptic feedback on your wrist.
• More apps are arriving on Apple Watch including the Apple’s Calculator.
• Apple Watch apps will now run independently rather than needing a companion app on your iPhone.
• The US technology firm has announced that the App Store is coming to the Apple Watch.
• A new noise complication can instantly reveal how loud sound is in a room and alert you if it might be damaging your hearing.
• The popular Watch bands are also being updated with new summer colours arriving soon.
New Watch faces are coming the Apple Watch
APPLE TV IS CHANGING WITH A NEW tvOS
• Apple is beginning its keynote with an update to its tvOS software which now includes multi-user support.
• tvOS is getting song lyrics which will appear on the screen Karaoke-style
• Apple TV is getting support for PS4 and Xbox controllers which means you can use these popular devices to play games on the screen.
• Finally, new screensavers are launching with underwater moving images coming soon.
Apple WWDC 2019 launch live
ORIGINAL STORY: Apple fans have a massive evening ahead as its plans for 2019 are revealed a major event in California.
The US technology firm’s WWDC Developers Conference gets underway at 6pm BST and expect an endless flurry of news about some of its most popular and important products.
The iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch could all see new features being announced with some big new additions rumoured ahead of today’s event.
So, if you own any of these Apple devices and want to know more here’s what new features could be coming later today.
APPLE iOS 13
One of the biggest announcements from tonight’s event could arrive in the form of iOS 13.
This all-new iPhone and iPad operating system will replace the current iOS 12 software that currently powers millions of Apple devices across the globe.
Although there’s no official news from Apple on what iOS 13 will include, it’s almost certain to bring a swathe of extras with the introduction of a Dark Mode one of the most talked about new additions.
This darker colour scheme has become hugely popular in recent years with Apple’s MacBooks and iMacs getting this option last year via an update to the macOS software.
Along with Dark Mode, we are also expecting Apple to refresh its camera app with more features and added controls boosting the iPhone’s photographic prowess.
Apple WWDC 2019
Other rumoured features include the ability to block spam calls automatically and Apple might add the option to check your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi settings without leaving the app you are currently using.
You can also expect more Animoji’s to be introduced and Apple will no doubt offer improvements to its health and fitness apps.
As well as iOS 13 bringing added extras to the iPhone there could also be some changes to the iPad.
One of the most exciting rumours is the addition of mouse support which would allow users to control things on the screen just like a Mac computer.
Apple WWDC 2019
APPLE MACBOOK AND IMAC
If it’s a MacBook or iMac computer you own then Apple may finally reveal more about the launch of its Marzipan project.
This was first announced back at WWDC 2018 and will finally bring UIKit apps to the Mac platform.
This basically means iPhone and iPad app developers can more quickly and easily switch their applications work on the Mac.
It’s a huge piece of news and could mean thousands of popular programmes, games and services will become available on Apple desktop and laptop computers.
Finally, we could see Apple split up its iTunes app on the Mac with users getting dedicated TV, Music and Podcast applications instead.
watchOS, which powers the current range of Apple wearables, is also likely to get big changes and new features.
There’s currently no word on what’s coming to your smartwatch but expect updates to include better health tracking in the Apple Watch as well as the possible inclusion of sleep tracking.
New watch faces, an always-on display and better battery life could all be welcomed upgrades to this popular wearable.
WHAT ELSE COULD BE ANNOUNCED?
Apple has often thrown in a few surprises at its WWDC conferences and 2019 could be another event packed with unexpected news.
There’s no word if any new devices will be revealed during today’s keynote but the US firm might reveal its new Mac Pro at WWDC 2019.
This ultimate PC could bring power, speeds and performance that have never been seen before from Apple Mac.